Friday, December 11, 2020

Some Little Ways I've Learned to Save Money



Ever since I started living on my own as a 19 year old,  I’ve always tried to come up with new ways to save money. The little things truly add up! Even if you are spending 5 dollars a month on something, at the end of the year that’s $60 you’ve spent. If there are ways to save, even if it’s a little bit, why not do it? Here’s a few things that i’ve done to help cut down on unnecessary costs:




1. Use an olive oil dispenser bottle for dish detergent



After my first baby was born, we bought a large bottle of dishwasher detergent from Costco. We upcycled an oil dispenser that we had recently used the last bit of oil from. I thought it looked nicer than having the dish soap bottle in sight and I didn’t have to lift up a huge bottle of dish soap every time I needed to use it. The oil dispenser allowed only a few drops of soap to come out at a time, so we did not waste a lot. Dish soap is very concentrated, so you really only need a little bit to wash your dishes. The large bottle of soap from Costco ended up lasting us 3 years! Some dish soaps may clog the oil dispenser, so the one I'm using right now is the generic version of Dawn from Costco. It hasn’t clogged at all. It’s SO nice never really having to worry about buying dish soap. Here’s to another 3 years! *update* I knocked it over and it shattered! Time to find a new one...


2. Buy bread in bulk & freeze the extra


My family of 4 goes through bread at an alarming rate. If you really are what you eat, then my 5 year old son is a peanut butter sandwich. He consumes at least one a day. Anyway, we eat a LOT of bread. I was sick of running to the store all the time just because we ran out of bread. I discovered at Costco (yes, Costco again) that they sell two loaves of bread for the price of what one loaf usually costs (for the kind of bread I get anyway.) We leave one or two loaves out and freeze the rest. Just pop one out of the freezer to thaw when you see that you’re almost out of bread.


3. Cut your own and your family’s hair


Maybe this sounds terrifying to you? Or maybe it sounds fun. Either way, hair does grow back, I just recommend only taking off a little at a time to start! Youtube is a wonderful tutor and you can find a plethora of amazing videos teaching you how to cut your own hair or other people’s hair. It can save you a lot of money! And the best part is (besides saving money) if you mess it up, you only have yourself to blame! So, hurry and go ask your significant other or your friend if you can practice on them! 


4.  Mop with white vinegar and water


I have a Bona hardwood floor spray mop that I believe I bought from Walmart or Target for around 40 bucks. It comes with a washable, removable pad. It came with the Bona spray in it but once that was empty, I didn’t want to spend money on a refill. Instead, I replaced it with a mixture of white vinegar and water. You really don’t need much vinegar added to the water for it to be effective. You can get a humongous 64 oz bottle of vinegar for about $2. That will last you a very long time! And since there are no chemicals being used, it’s healthier for you and your pets. If you don’t have this type of mop, just get a bucket and mix some vinegar and water and go to town with whatever mop you have. Apple cider vinegar works too but the smell is pretty strong. When using white vinegar, the smell dissipates fairly quickly in my opinion, although it may have you craving salt and vinegar potato chips! 


5. Buy frozen vegetables if you can’t eat fresh produce fast enough

I think we all have moments at the grocery store where we’re on a healthy kick and we decide to buy a ton of fresh produce, thinking that if we buy it, we will definitely eat it, and therefore be healthier. While those are great intentions, sometimes we fall short and just let the produce go to waste. After all, that stuff goes bad fast! And when it goes bad before we have had a chance to eat it, then we throw it away and it’s like we have literally thrown away our money. If you are slow to use fresh produce, then why not buy frozen vegetables? You can use them when you feel like it and they are staying fresh in the freezer for much longer. Sometimes buying frozen vegetables is cheaper than fresh ones to begin with. So you can be healthier and save a little cash.


6. Put paper towels in your spinach or spring mix

Since we’re on the subject of produce, we may as well talk about one way we can help extend the life of your salad. Ever since I have started putting a paper towel in with my bag of  fresh spinach, it lasts me almost a week longer. The paper towel extracts the unnecessary moisture and helps keep the leaves crispy for longer. Every time you open the bag of spinach or spring mix, replace the paper towel because it will be wet! Popeye would be proud. Maybe, just maybe, you can eat it all before it goes bad!


7. Eat more potatoes and rice

Both potatoes and rice are SO cheap and they’re healthy (especially brown rice and sweet potatoes.) You can get a 5lb bag of russet potatoes for around $2. You can get a 5lb bag of brown rice for under $4. These foods are so versatile and are easy to cook. There are tons of easy recipes online. You can pop a potato in the microwave and have a “baked” potato in 5 mins. Easy, quick meal!


8. Eat less meat

Meat is expensive. I haven’t bought it for years, simply because I don’t like it and it has saved us a lot of money! Meat is not meant to be the main course of a meal, it’s meant to add flavor to a meal by using a little bit. Eating large amounts all the time is unhealthy and expensive. Try cutting down on it and eating more rice, beans or vegetables in your meals. If you can’t live without meat in your meals, start by purchasing less and not letting it take the stage as the main course of every meal.


9. Shop around for car insurance quotes

A couple years ago, I looked at our budget and wondered if our car insurance payment could be lowered. My husband and I got different quotes from different car insurance companies. Soon after a little research we were able to switch to a new car insurance company and  we were able to cut our payment by about $62! That is saving $744 a year. I *highly* recommend you do some research and find a good, reliable car insurance company that will get you a lower rate! Do ittttt…! I continue to get insurance quotes every once in a while.


10. Buy Used

I used to never have any sweaters during winter time. I simply did not want to spend $40+ on one. I discovered that by going to a thrift shop, I could buy a perfectly good sweater for $3-$5. That price makes me VERY happy! Many people will donate their sweaters because they are pilly and fuzzy. If you invest in a fabric shaver (inexpensive), you can buy those pilly sweaters and make them look brand new. Fabric shaving is also SO therapeutic, haha! Of course, there are plenty of other things you can buy used for much cheaper than new. Check out Facebook marketplace, your local thrift shop, craigslist, etc. 


11. Make your own cleaning solution

   Pinterest is full of information about DIY cleaning solutions. One I learned and always make is a multipurpose spray (do not use on granite.) I soak orange peels in vinegar for a couple weeks in an air-tight jar and then transfer the solution without the orange peels into a spray bottle. I use this on my table, floors to wipe up any spills, oven and stove. 


12. Look through every ad you get in the mail

We all get junk mail, and it’s annoying. But before you throw it away, take a quick peek and see if there are any coupons you could use! I found a BOGO coupon for a local frozen yogurt shop in some junk mail and I was able to go on a cheap date with my husband. Score! I always find coupons for discounted oil changes as well, which is great since it’s for a necessary service I have to get eventually anyway. It only takes about a minute, so might as well try before the papers go to recycling!


13. Be grateful for what you have

Dave Ramsey always says that we buy things to impress people that we don’t even like. So, stop it and save money! Look around you, and see all that you already have. Maybe you can even see things that you need to get rid of? Having less clutter makes us feel more at peace. Being grateful helps us feel even more at peace. It’s a win-win. 



Thanks for reading!

-Merewyn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kid's Table Makeover, Before and After

I've been obsessed with this shade of green for a while now, and i've started painting pretty much everything in my hous...